Post Professional DPT

2013-2014 Calendar

Fall Mini Term I August 19 – October 12 2013
Fall Mini Term II October 14 – December 8 2013
Spring Mini Term I January 13 – March 8 2014
Spring Mini Term II March 17 – May 9 2014
Summer May 19 – July 11 2014

The University of the Incarnate Word School of Physical Therapy makes doctoral education readily available to licensed practitioners with a lifelong commitment to patients, society and the profession. The Post Professional Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) online program  is built on the Institution’s foundational values of educational excellence, lifelong learning and the development of the whole person, and is offered to practitioners with either an entry-level bachelor or master’s degree in physical therapy. The post-professional DPT curriculum emphasizes integration of theory and practice from the foundational, clinical and behavioral sciences, and is designed to provide opportunity and challenge for physical therapists to enhance their professional practice to that reflected by a doctoring profession. To be eligible, applicants must hold a license to practice physical therapy in the United States and have at least one year of clinical experience.

The mission of the University of the Incarnate Word School of Physical Therapy is to innovatively educate physical therapists who, through skilled, reflective, patient-centered practice, optimize movement and wellness for the common good of society. The Post Professional DPT program develops and extends the practice skills and expertise of practicing therapists with an emphasis on:

• Integrating knowledge and theory from the foundational, clinical and professional sciences into practice
  • Critical self-assessment and adult learning skills
  • Refining clinical reasoning and decision-making skills
  • Gaining broad perspectives on organizational, financial and social policies that are central to practice and shape the future of the profession
  • Opportunities for professional practice in a focused area

The program includes 9 core courses (24 semester credit hours). The didactic courses will use a variety of educational and teaching formats to support the distance education process including individual readings, online courses, asynchronous online discussions. Working professionals will typically take one to two courses per semester and complete the program in approximately two years.

Meet May 2013 graduate, Danny Kasprowicz -

DannyKasprowicz

The Mission Statement of The University of Incarnate Word and it Physical Therapy Program was the MAIN reason I chose this University to pursue my DPT degree. It directly correlated with my goals as a PT professional and with my faith as a Catholic. I will be proud to hang this diploma in my office when I complete this program. I have been very impressed with the level of instruction with all faculty and with the sharing that occurs with each class participant. It has been challenging and rewarding with each class completed. I have truly enjoyed the experience at UIW.

Danny Kasprowicz PT, DPT, Owner, Boerne PT Institute