College Level Examination Program – CLEP
Cost of CLEP is $80 + $15 Administration Fee (Non-refundable; non-transferable)
The College Level Examination Program (CLEP) provides two types of examinations–General Examinations and Subject Examinations, available in a variety of disciplines. Standards for satisfactory credit are set by the University faculty in each discipline area and may be higher than the ACE recommendations. CLEP tests are under constant evaluation and scores are subject to change according to the evaluation period.
Procedures for taking a CLEP:
1. CLEP exams are available by appointment only, and generally are offered on Fridays at 8:30 am and 1:30 pm. CLEP exams are also offered one Saturday a month at 10:30 am. The Saturday dates for the Summer 2013 semester are: June 8th and July 13th.
2. Pick up a Request for Credit by Examination form in the Registrar’s Office and have it signed by your advisor and approved by the Registrar. The test MUST be taken within 30 days of the Registrar approval date, or new approval must be obtained. The form must be presented to Testing Services staff at the time of the appointment.
3. Once you have processed the Request for Credit by Examination form, call (210) 829-3876 or stop by AD 216 to make an appointment.
4. To secure your appointment, you will need to pay a non-refundable, non-transferable $15 administrative fee with UIW’s Business Office at (210) 829-6043.
If we do not have a record of your receipt number within 48 hours after the appointment is made, the appointment will automatically be cancelled.
5. On the date of the test , bring two valid IDs (see “CLEP ID POLICY” for specifics), payment for exam fee (see below), and the yellow copy of the Request for Credit by Examination properly processed.
CLEP ID POLICY:
The primary form of identification must be a current government-issued photo ID card with the student’s signature. The secondary form of identification must have a photo and/or signature. All funded military candidates must present a current military ID and a second form of government-issued photo ID.
Acceptable forms of primary identification include (must have both photo and signature):
- A current driver’s license
- A current state or federal ID card
- A current passport
- A tribal ID card
- A naturalization card or certificate of citizenship
Acceptable forms of secondary identification include:
- A current employee ID (with photo or signature)
- A current student ID (with photo)
- A Social Security card (with signature)
- A military ID (with signature)
- An unused ID from the primary choices above
|$15||UIW administrative fee to secure the appointment||Non-refundable; non-transferable. Payable by cash, personal check or credit card when the appointment is made.|
|$80||CLEP exam fee||Payable to the College Board by credit card or money order at the time of the appointment. No personal checks or cash accepted.|
5. CLEP tests are computer-based and 90 minutes in length, except for College Composition, which is 2 hours.
6. Scores will be printed immediately after the test is taken – except for tests with essay.
7. If the examinee is more than 15 minutes late, the appointment must be rescheduled so as not to interfere with later testing appointments.
8. Scores are received at the Registrar’s Office approximately 2 weeks after the test is taken, with the exception of the College Composition exam. College Composition essays are scored within 3-4 weeks of the test date, and scores are received at the Registrar’s Office about 2 weeks after scoring.
9. For study guides go to www.collegeboard.com/clep.