Course Placement Policy
MATH PLACEMENT CHALLENGE
College Level Math Readiness Scores:
- SAT Math score at or above 520
- ACT Math score at or above 22
- TAKS Math score (if taken) at or above 2202
- ACCUPLACER Math score (if taken) at or above 63
Students who meet any (1) of the above scores – Placement in MATH 1304 (or appropriate math for individual major)
Students not meeting any (1) of the above scores – Placement in MATH 0318 or MATH 0319
College Level English Readiness Scores:
- SAT Critical Reading score at or above 520 AND SAT Writing score at or above a 520
- ACT Reading score at or above 22 AND ACT Writing score at or above 22
- TAKS English score (if taken) at or above a 2200 AND writing subscore at least a 3 (indicated by a + on TAKS transcript sticker)
- ACCUPLACER Reading Comprehension score (if taken) at or above a 78
- ACCUPLACER Written Essay (if taken) at or above a 6
Students who meet any (1) of the above scores – Placement in ENGL 1311
Students not meeting any (1) of the above scores – Placement in ENGL 1311L
NOTE: All incoming students who have not yet satisfied the core requirements for English composition will be placed into ENGL 1311 or ENGL 1311L, based on the above indicators of readiness for college-level writing. Either course will satisfy the core requirement for ENGL 1311; 1311L simply provides additional support mechanisms designed to help novice writers improve their skills.
NOTE: Students who want to challenge their placement into Math 0318 or 0319 may take a placement challenge test. In order to take the test, these students need to make an appointment at Testing Services (see below). There will be no placement challenge testing on the days of new student orientation.
Procedures for Taking a Math Placement Challenge Test:
- For the testing appointment please call: 1-800-749-WORD x 3876 or (210) 829-3876.
- When to Test:
Contact Testing Services to arrange a time to take your test. Please be aware that the tests are graded by professors at the University, and you will not receive your scores right away. Plan the date of your test accordingly, so that you will still have plenty of time to register for classes.
- What to Bring:
Current, government-issued photo ID; a graphing calculator will be provided for you.
- Dress in layers to ensure that you are comfortable no matter what the temperature is in the testing room;
- Earplugs will be provided for you.
- How to pay:
A non-refundable, non-transferable fee of $10.00 should be made at the time you request an appointment. You may pay by credit card over the phone, or you may visit the Business Office to pay in person. If we do not have a record of your receipt number within 48 hours after the appointment is made, the appointment will automatically be cancelled.
- How to prepare for the math placement challenge:
Pick up a study guide at Testing Services (AD 216), or contact Matthew Gonzalez at firstname.lastname@example.org to request an electronic copy.
University of the Incarnate Word Testing Services
Administration Building, Suite 216
UIW Main Campus
San Antonio, TX 78209
- If you qualify for testing accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), please contact the Coordinator of Testing, Matthew Gonzalez, at email@example.com, to make arrangements for your test. Prior registration with the UIW Student Disability Services office is required.